“Coimbra tem mais encanto na hora da despedida”. [Coimbra is more charming when you need to say goodbye] In one of the most known themes of Coimbra Fado, the Balada do VI Ano Médico de 1958, by Fernando Machado Soares. We promise that you will feel like this during your stay in Coimbra.
If you are visiting Coimbra, you can’t miss these:
The historic city centre is nearby Five Senses Hostel. You can start your walk to downtown trough Rua da Sofia until you reach the beautiful Santa Cruz Monastery founded in 1131 by the Order of the Regular Canons of Saint Augustine. Take the opportunity to visit the Monastery where you can find the tombs of the two first Portuguese kings or get to know the history of Saint Anthony of Lisbon, also known as Anthony of Padua.
Right beside the monastery, you can enjoy Café de Santa Cruz. Its patio is a classic of the 8 de Maio Square.
Further down Visconde da Luz Street towards Ferreira Borges Street, you will find the Almedina’s Arch which you should visit to explore the tower and the Uptown of Coimbra. If you prefer strolling city parks you should keep going towards the Mondego River. You will then find the wonderful Parque Verde!
The Quebra Costas, other must see, is a sloping street that requires a little effort but is a great experience thus will get you right on the magnificent church Sé Velha. In the street Couraça de Lisboa you will be able to take a breath-taking photograph of the Mondego River, so don’t miss it!
Coimbra’s Uptown is the ancient wall of the city and holds the main university campus. There you will find historic and majestic buildings as well as student houses. In this area you can’t miss:
- A tour to the University of Coimbra, one of the oldest universities in the world. The complete touristic circuit is unmissable, and it includes a tour to the Baroque Library, the Saint Michael’s Chapel and the iconic University’s Tower to appreciate the incredible view.
- Machado de Castro National Museum, one of the most beautiful Portuguese museums, which holds an important collection of art.
- Science Museum, an architectural building of the 18th century, the perfect place to visit if you are traveling with children eager to learn.
- Botanical Garden of Coimbra and its amazing beauty, a gem in the middle of the city that will allow you to feel the power of nature.
- The Penedo da Saudade is a garden full of mystic and history, where students once engraved poems of love for the city and the university.
We are waiting for you!
Slow Motion Tour
If you can stay a little longer, you will feel even better!
Feel the history and the academic tradition while in Coimbra: meet Fado, enjoy every local taste in the typical taverns of the city and get lost with the famous conventual pastry.
If you have opportunity to get to know Coimbra a little better, Five Senses Hostel suggests:
- Santa Clara-a-Velha Monastery
- São Francisco Convent
- Portugal dos Pequenitos
- Fado House
- Figueira da Foz
We are waiting for you!